Park Hill is a council housing estate in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England. It was built between 1957 and 1961, and in 1998 was given Grade II* listed building status. Following a period of decline, the estate is being renovated by developers Urban Splash.
Situated between Cotton Mill Row, Cotton Street and Alma Street, Sheffield, Falcon works were built in the 1930's for light industrial use after the site was cleared as part of a 1931 Clearance Order. Originally standing three storeys tall, the premises were reduced to one storey between 1948 and 1950. Prior to this the site was used for a number of purposes. In 1896 the Alma Street end of the site played host to a rag warehouse. Due south were ten houses facing onto Cotton Mill Row, followed by Edward Cave’s timber yard. At the southern-most tip could be found the Rifle Tavern public house.
Some of the works included purpose-built workshops for a saw manufacturer and were occupied by R. H. Walker and Sons. The company had been earlier established in 1923 by Richard Walker and his son John, the former having been in the saw-manufacturing business since 1880. R. H. Walker and Sons established themselves as one of the leading UK manufacturers of high-quality Tungsten Carbide Tipped circular saw blades. They expanded operations locally in 1937 and then, in the early 1940's, took over Cardiff-based company, Atkinson & Co (Saws) Limited. In 1956 they closed the Cardiff factory, consolidating production in Sheffield by acquiring further premises on Bower Street. R H Walker and Son were then incorporated into the trading title of Atkinson-Walker (Saws) Limited in 1975, employing around 20 people.
However, like many light manufacturing operations in post-industrial Britain, the company ran into problems in recent years and finally went into administration in February 2018, suffering losses as a result of on-going pressures on profit margins and an increase cost-base. While an out-right buyer couldn’t be found, Sheffield Industrial Saws payed £20,000 for a six-month licence to operate out of the Falcon Works premises, but when that came to an end, with the secured creditors paid-up, the administrators closed operations at Falcon Works. The land was then sold off and in February 2019 an application was tabled for the demolition all existing buildings and the erection of a new 4-storey building comprising of 88 numbered residential apartments.
Lady's Bridge is the oldest bridge across the River Don in the City of Sheffield, England. It is located in the central section of the city, linking the Wicker to the north with Waingate to the south.
The original wooden bridge at this point was constructed close to Sheffield Castle sometime after 1150 under the orders of William de Lovetot, the Normanbaron who had also built the castle along with the town's first church, hospital (at Spital Hill), and corn mill (at Millsands).
In 1485 the Vicar of Sheffield, Sir John Plesaunce, and William Hill, who was a master mason, both agreed to build a bridge of stone "over the watyr of Dune neghe the castell of Sheffeld" at a cost of about £67. The bridge had five arches, and was 14.5 feet (4.4 m) wide. A small chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built close to the bridge, and the bridge became known as 'Our Lady's Bridge'. When built it could only be crossed by pedestrians as there were steps at either end of the bridge. The chapel was converted for use as a wool warehouse in 1547, to prevent its demolition as part of the Dissolution of the Monasteries during the reign of Henry VIII, and was subsequently used as an Alms house.
In 1760 the bridge was widened on the upstream side, and the Alms House (formerly the chapel to Our Lady) were demolished to make way for the new structure. The bridge was widened on the downstream side in 1864, virtually obscuring the remaining original structure from view, and again in 1909, to allow trams to cross the bridge. It was restored in the late 20th century, and has been a Grade II listed structure since 1973.
The ironfounding operation at Derwent Foundry was first introduced in 1946 by Wragg & Hawksley to produce cast iron pipes for the water industry. In 1950 the foundry was acquired by WH Davis & Sons Ltd to supply castings for their railway wagon building business. Following a management buy out in 1984 the company was renamed Derwent Foundry Ltd and following its closure in July 2002 was bought by its present owners and renamed Derwent Castings Ltd.
The company had traded profitably for a number of years but in late 2013 / early 2014 saw the cancellation of its largest sales contract which represented 70 per cent of its turnover.
Bosses at the company, which employed 16 staff including three directors, struggled to attract replacement business and had to drop prices. Further business was lost as a result of foreign competition.
Sheffield’s insolvency specialist Wilson Field was called in as liquidator and worked with the creditors’ committee of Derwent Castings Limited to secure the positive dividend.
Broadfield Mill is a partially demolished mill complex located beside the River Holme in Lockwood, a mile south of Huddersfield town centre. The mill dates back to at least the 1840s.
Godfrey Berry moved to this mill from Folly Hall Mills in 1850 to form Messrs. Berry & Crowther; this later became Henry Crowther & Sons. In 1897, Kaye & Stewart took over the mill. The 1937 Directory lists Gledhill Bros. & Co at the mill in addition to Kaye & Stewart. Deluxe Bed Ltd were the last tenants of this part of the mill, possibly leaving the site around 2004/05.
Godfrey Berry purchased land in Lockwood in the 1840s, including land on which a 'Chapel or Meeting House' had been erected. This seems to have been bought as 'lots' and later further shares in the land were sold, possibly as a means of raising money. Earlier deeds had referred to 'land belonging to John Berry', so the family seem to have been fairly well off. Earlier members of the family owned mills in Honley and had been involved in local politics. Godfrey Berry went into partnership with Henry Crowther - purchasing Broadfield Mills in Lockwood in 1845, and it seems that his son Josiah also had some interest in the business.
After his father's death, Josiah - with Alfred and Henry Crowther - purchased the land and mill of Broadfield Mills in Lockwood with the agreement of Samuel Naylor, who was the executor of the late Godfrey Berry's will. Josiah was described in 1851 as an 'employer of 208'. At this time he lived in Yews Hill, just above the mills at Lockwood, with his wife and children. Josiah's interest in Broadfield Mill must have been sold later, when the firm of Henry Crowther & Sons began. Later, Kaye and Stewart (fancy worsted manufacturers) took over Broadfield Mill and became one of the largest employers in Huddersfield.
Large parts of Broadfield Mill were demolished in the early years of this century, and the remaining parts were subdivided into smaller units. There are still some firms operating out of various corners of the mill with Deluxe Beds appearing to have vacated around 2004.