Chisworth Works was built at the end of the 18th, early 19th century as a cotton band manufactory and was initially called Higher Mill. There are large round-arched doorways surrounded by large ashlar blocks in the north-east elevation. However, it appears as though the original building was extended twice to the rear, also in stone, as there are lines in the mortarwork and mismatches in the courses on the south-west elevation. Presumably, these extensions took place before 1857 as the building line remains the same on the maps until 1973.
By 1973, the site was used as a dyeing works and there was a large T-shaped extension at the rear which appears to have been added in two stages. The building at the north-eastern end had gone and any gardens in front of the cottages had been covered over for the yard. The only change ten years later was the construction of a square loading ramp at the front. The outline today is the same as it was in 1984.
The company started "winding-up" in 2006 and was dissolved/liquidised and closed in September that year.