HistoryThe Royalty was opened on 20th October 1930 with Maurice Chevalier's "The Love Parade".
The cinema was built for and operated by the local independent Selly Oak Pictures Ltd.
Eventually the site was taken over by the Associated British Cinemas(ABC) chain in March 1935.
The site was closed by ABC on the 2nd November 1963 with Cliff Robertson in "P.T.109".
It was later converted into an Alpha Bingo Club (operated by ABC) and later a Mecca Bingo Club. By 2010 it was operated as a Gala Bingo Club which closed around 2012.
In the summer of 2011, the Royalty Cinema was designated a Grade II Listed building by English Heritage.