HistoryOn an elevated point in the City of Durham, is a spacious building of stone, supported by donations and public subscriptions and erected in 1853, in the Elizabethan style, at a cost of £7,500, and will hold 44 patients. In 1867 male and female convalescent wards were added at a cost of £2,400 as a memorial of the late Dean Waddington, who in 1865 contributed £2,000 to the funds of the hospital, and subsequently a further sum of £2,000, and finally bequeathed by will £6,000 more. Additional wards were added by the late John Eden esq., of Beamish Park, who gave a sum of £2,000 towards their erection, and bequeathed a further sum of £10,000. These were opened December 2, 1886. There is now room for 50 patients. Source: Kelly's Directory 1910
The hospital was part of the Tees, Esk and Wear Valleys Foundation Trust of the NHS and in its later years provided mental health care to people from North Durham area.
Since 2010 the site has remained vacant. In 2014 planning permission was sought to demolish extensions and return the main building back to its Victorian state and named "Viaduct Court". With a new building of a large block of halls on the South West side, it is proposed the site will house 440 students. The plans for the new building are being referred to as "New Hall".