It looks as though this place was a kind of infirmary building belonging to Firth Brown steel which had works in the surrounding area. Workers may have come here to see a nurse if they had suffered an injury at work.
Since then there has been a stone wall built around the outside and the area around the building has been backfilled with a car park built on top, making the medical centre essentially underground.
Some history on Firth Brown:
Firth Brown Steels was initially formed in 1902, when Sheffield steelmakers John Brown & Company exchanged shares and came to a working agreement with neighbouring company Thomas Firth & Sons. In 1908 the two companies came together and established the Brown Firth Research Laboratories and it was here, in 1912, under the leadership of Harry Brearley they developed high chrome stainless steel. The companies continued under their own management until they formally merged in 1930 becoming Firth Brown Steels. The company is now part of Sheffield Forgemasters.
All photographs are available as prints or canvas with or without the border. Message for sizes/ prices.