Clayton Hospital is named after Thomas Clayton, a mayor of Wakefield and was founded in 1854. It was an amalgamation of Wakefield General Dispensary, founded in 1787, and the Wakefield House of Recovery, founded in 1826. Wakefield General Dispensary was for out-patients and the Wakefield House of Recovery was for poor in-patients suffering from infectious diseases.
In 1852 the Wakefield Union Workhouse was completed and its hospital wards accommodated pauper invalids and fever cases, so that the House of Recovery was closed in 1854. In 1863 Mayor Clayton financed an expansion and the institution was re-named 'The Clayton Hospital and Wakefield General Dispensary'. The site moved from Dispensary Yard to the present site in 1876 and the new building was opened in 1879.
Two further wings were added in 1900 and 1932 and in 1948 the name was changed to Clayton Hospital, with a capacity of 200 beds.
The hospital closed it's doors in 2013.
All photographs are available as prints or canvas with out without the border. Message for sizes/ prices.