HistoryThe school originally opened in 1938 and by 1986 there were around 340 pupils, ranging from 9 to 13 years. There were 18 staff at the school including the headteacher and the small school featured 14 rooms. During this time the head was Mr Lindley, who went on to work for the school for 18 years.
Children came from the surrounding areas of Ryhill, South Hiendely and Havercroft, all of which are around one mile away.
Felkirk Middle school closed on the 1st September 1996 as a result of amalgamation and became the High Well School for children with special needs. The school catered for up to 48 pupils, aged 11 to 16 years, with a statement of special education need identifying emotional, social and behavioural difficulties.
Wakefield Council has relocated the school from its current location to Pontefract and the site is due for demolition.