HistoryThe tunnel was built in 1849 for the South Yorkshire, Doncaster and Goole Railway Company. The head engineer was Charles Bartholomew of the River Don Company. It consists of Gritstone voussoirs and rock-faced sandstone walling. Quoined buttresses flank a horseshoe arch with rustication below the impost band and roll-moulded hoodmould. Roll-moulded cornice breaks forward over the buttresses; blocking course steps up at centre. The line was opened on 10th November 1849 and linked the Midland and Great Northern networks; after 1864 it became part of the Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire railway which itself became the Great Central Railway in 1897.