HistoryWoollen & Co Ltd was established in Sheffield in 1883 by Edwin James Woollen, a signwriter and Frederick Ibbotson, a lithographic printer. By 1897 Woollens had become a limited company and was based at 35 Carver Street in Sheffield.
At some point they moved to Love Street and then in 2005 moved to new premises.
In 2008 Woollen & Co ceased trading after 125 years in business following a takeover. However a new company Woollen Signs Limited rose from the ashes and seems to be trading successfully.