HistoryThe company was founded by John Dyson who began mining clay and making bricks in the early 1800s. From the very beginning the business was a success. The 1834 Sheffield trade directory lists - “John Dyson - Brick Maker, Stannington” which indicates that he ran the business on his own. However, by 1838 the business was listed as “John Dyson and Son - Black clay miners and firebrick manufacturers, Griffs House, Stannington.
Dyson's were manufacturers of Refractory material, ceramics for the steel industry, they also produce fire backs and other household ceramic bricks for the likes of Aga's etc. They have also been know to sell clay for use in Well Dressings.
Unfortunately Dyson's traditional manufacturing process relied heavily on gas fired kilns. With increased in energy costs the plants was no longer economically viable due to competition from outside the UK, despite the very best efforts of the management and staff at Dyson, the site eventually closed circa 2005.
All photographs are available as prints or canvas with or without the border. Message for sizes/ prices.