The building is built on the site of the former Rialto Pottery Works and is designed in the Art Deco style. The Workshops for the Blind were opened in October 1934 at a cost of of £30,000. For many years they supplied products to the pottery industry and by 2009 there were 44 employees. After a number of loss making years, the works were transferred from the City Council to a new owner and renamed 'Stoke Workshop for the Blind and Disabled'. In 2011 the business was closed, half of the workforce was made redundant and a new business relaunched at the same premises as 'Stoke Disabled Employment Ltd'. In 2018 proposals were made to develop the site in to 64 dwellings as part of a £8.9 million investment. The proposals suggest that the frontage of the building would be retained.