The school opened on the 30th March 1911 and was originally known as the Council School. It was built at a cost of around £7,000 and was designed to hold 600 children.
When the West Riding County Council took over in 1935 the school became known as the Balby Street County Primary School.
When the Doncaster Metropolitan Borough Council was formed in 1974 the school changed it's name again and became known as the D.M.B.C Conisbrough Balby Street Junior and Infant School.
The new school buildings were erected in 1971 and the old school was closed in 1986 and subsequently demolished in 1987. All that remains are the two towers which make up the play area.
There are some pictures of the original school and the surrounding area here:
An account of a day at the school written by a former pupil can be found here:
All photographs are available as prints or canvas with or without the border. Message for sizes/ prices.