The Ritz opened in 1937 and was operated by the Union Cinemas circuit. The cinema was taken over by ABC later that year.
It underwent refurbishment in the 50's and was later renamed 'ABC', as with many other cinemas across the UK.
The cinema closed as the ABC on 29th October 1977 with the film "Exorcist II", and was reopened the next day as 'The Ritz'. Shortly after, the cinema was divided into two separate screens.
In the 80's, a small fire caused some damage to screen 2, but it was cleaned up and reopened shortly.
In 1984, The Ritz closed as a cinema, and was purchased by new owners, who then operated the building as a bingo hall, under the name - 'The Ritz Bingo Club'.
It remained as a bingo hall until its last days, when it was last operated as a 'Gala Bingo' branch.